Monday, February 23, 2009

Second puzzle piece and tips. Jaffy finished her first piece too!

Yesterday I felt much better than today. I stayed in and didn't do much of anything...again. I make a terrible patient. I cannot sit still to save my life. I worked on my second puzzle piece. I decided working on bright "happy" colors would be what I needed so I chose my favorite gypsy image and used bright green,yellow,orange and fuchsia. It really looks much better in person. The camera changes the whole look of a cohesive blend of colors. Anyway, I discovered some tips I would like to share for those of you who are making crazy quilted pieces. Just to remind all participants, you can use any technique you desire. I just thought I would share my experience with the CQ method.
Note~ With any decorating method you chose, for all puzzle pieces, your puzzle will not fit together like a real puzzle. As you collect your pieces, you will be placing a piece on top of another piece at the point where you want to connect them. Then you will take a few small stitches to attach them together . I thought I would mention this for those of you who think you messed up because your pieces don't interlock. :-)


Tip #1. If you are making a CQ piece, after piecing and before embellishing,use a light box or hold finished piece up to window to trace on the right side with a water soluble marker so you will know where to end your embellishments around the outer tabs and inner dips. This prevents you from having to remove any charms you may have placed over a "dip" which will be cut out when ready to finish edges.

Tip#2. When you are hand stitching the edges with the buttonhole stitch, lay the piece on a pillow or sofa when you insert your needle into an outer tab to prevent it from bending and weakening the tab. Just poke through all layers of your tab and pillow, lift off of pillow and pull through..repeat.

If anyone wants to share any tips on any method you are working on, I know everyone will appreciate the help. Also, it is ok to share your pieces on your blog.

I wanted to mention that Jaffy just finished her first puzzle piece and has some suggestions too.

14 comments:

  1. Pat, how gorgeous! I thought I might just make up little squares & embellish(like little "pins").These really are lovely. I don't do much embroidery, but these are so sweet, that I think I'll give them a go.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my lightbox out for another project today so I went ahead and traced several shapes - just not sure that's the base fabric I want to use, or even exactly what I'm going to do. Too many ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my.. these puzzle pieces are genius! what a fabulous concept..

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun concept. I really love the idea of making individual pieces like a puzzle.

    Very beautiful :-)

    Pierrette =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pat, Your puzzle fit perfectly. I may have to try this when I get time. Will you stitch them together when have 4 or more and how? Beautiful pieces. Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  6. These puzzle pieces are just amazing!
    Hope you feel better soon...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pat, your puzzle pieces are loverly...I am so disappointed that I could not participate in this prject with you! I look forward to seeing all the finished pieces!

    Hugs,
    Noel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pat, it never ceases to amaze me that you can make one piece prettier then the other! If this is what you produce when you aren't feeling well, I'd hate to see what you make in a Creative mood !
    I never thought something so small could be so beautiful! Amazing job!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. The second piece is perfect! Thank you for the wonderful advice. I am definitely getting the itch especially since traditional quilting just doesn't seem to work for me...;)

    Thanks and hope you get to feeling well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pat, it amazes me what you can do with your fabric, thread, and your wonderful abilities. You just continue to create the most awesome pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the puzzle idea, what fun. Your Gypsy Woman is very pretty, I never tire of seeing your work, inspriational!
    Pat
    Patricia Rose-A Potpourri of Fabric,Fragrance and Findings
    www.patriciarose-apotpourri.com
    www.patriciarose-apotpourriof.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. HOW BEAUTIFUL!!!!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are CRAZY NICE!!!! I love them! I can't believe how much you fit on one piece!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I posted a blog entry about my 1st 4 finished puzzles pieces here:
    http://sockshavenothumbs.blogspot.com/2009/02/i-can-stop-any-time-i-want.html

    Connecting tabs of surrounding pieces will definitely have to be refitted from original pattern to make them fit!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile, I love hearing from you and thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by. Enjoy your day!