Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Sneaking time out to play....shhhhhhhh

I really should be finishing up in the kitchen, but that darn creative muse of mine has taken over again!!!!

You know when you see a project and it stays on your mind.....teasing and taunting you? Knowing you don't have the supplies to create it???? Well,I just couldn't wait any longer for my order to arrive, so I thought I would experiment a bit without the correct goodies. That is nothing new as I rarely follow directions anyway. I would rather do my own thing for the most part.
I have been searching for 24 or 26 gauge copper sheets in my area and I even have my friend Laney and my DH on the look out for it with no luck so far.
DH saw how desperate I was to fiddle with the bird brooches in the Winter 2009 issue of Belle Armoire Jewelry magazine....... .....so he searched through his stash of goods in the barn and returned to the house with something to hold me over until I can get the real thing. I forgot what he said it was, but it seems to work just fine. The back isn't too pretty, but I can paint that. Anyway, on page 42, Caroline Hatchell created the cutest metal bird brooches. I love birds, like many of you do, so I found this to be a "must try" project. After searching online a few hours the other day, I contacted Caroline to ask for any help in finding the mini alphabet punches. She kindly directed me to where she purchased hers years ago and luckily, they were still in stock so I ordered a set and am anxiously awaiting their arrival.

I made these three brooches in no time. They are not as "fun" or creative as Caroline's, but I don't have the goodies yet.....just wait!!!! This little bluebird was my first. My eyelets were not long enough so I used a flower brad.
Since I don't have my punches yet and wanted to add words, I improvised and used a word charm from Michael's and cut edges into it with my dremmel to resemble feathers in the back wing. This poor little fella has awful looking legs, but his limb does have a few leaves left!!!!
Notice they are all headed North? Well, at least from my house they are.....it's too cold for them here.


I plan on making several assorted ones for my MIL to give to her bridge club ladies who all love bird watching. I also plan on making several to have on hand for blog give aways too. I think anyone would enjoy these thanks to Caroline. If you get a chance, try them. They are quite fun!

You know me, I can't leave things alone...wait until you see what else I am making with this idea....too cute...stay tuned until after the holidays!!!!!!!! Ok, I have to get back to the kitchen...I need a strong cup of Joe in order to finish up.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful Pat!
    Have a lovely Christmas..
    Hugs Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat,

    What a fun project!! Have fun when your order gets here, just remember to come out of the studio once in awhile! :c)

    I just stopped by to wish you a wonderful Christmas!! Remember to slow down enough to make beautiful memories!!

    Pattie :c)
    Mazatlan Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are adorable! To think you improvised with the materials and they came out that great. Wow, can't wait to see what you do with the real stuff.

    Wishing you and your family a wonderful, blessed Christmas and New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The birds are adorable!
    Although I'm clueless how you made them...
    Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there no end to your talents, Pat? These are just lovely. I'm so impressed.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:39 PM CST

    Pat-these are wonderful. You're mind must work 24/7. I hope you had a great holiday-Love-Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your birds are just beautiful!!! Where are you getting your letter punches from? Laurie

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile, I love hearing from you and thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by. Enjoy your day!