Friday, November 21, 2008

Unexpected surprises from two sweet ladies from my past

The quilt show in October that I participated in brought more than interest in Crazy Quilting. I saw a few people that I haven't seen in a while. One of those people was Leslie, a high school friend of my husbands. I had met her shortly after we married, and she was very sweet and we shared an interest in cross stitching.
She stopped by my booth and we chatted a bit. Well, yesterday a box arrived from Leslie. It was filled with treasures and I am so touched that she shared these with me.
There were four SRE books, and believe it or not, I don't have any of them. I've never even seen them before, so that was a pleasant surprise in itself. There were silk threads which belonged to Leslie's great grandmother who was born in 1869. They are beautiful and still have the tags on them stating they are from Corticelli and The Leonard silk company. I have an idea for a tag! There were four beautiful hankies, a pretty sheer bag of drop beads and pearls, and Leslie used her parents baby photos to create the sweet and whimsical collages. She even added dragonflies!
I can't believe how quickly time passes when you start thinking of the past. It seems like another lifetime in a way.
To take time out and gather items intended especially for me touches me more than the contents. These days with such a fast paced world, a gesture like this is just unexpected and so very thoughtful that a simple thank you just isn't enough. It was a heart warming gift and I will treasure each item. Thank you Leslie if you are out there, and good deeds never go unnoticed by me! :-)


Another sweet lady from my past ,and who was my sister-in-law for a while, is Brenda. She learned of my website through a mutual friend of her and Leslie's who met me at the quilt show too. You can imagine my surprise when I received an email from Brenda. I was happy she had contacted me and we are going to meet soon. Life is sometimes hard to work around as you know. This week she is sick, so I hope she feels better soon because I can't wait to see her and catch up.
Anyway, about a week or so ago, Brenda had slipped over and filled my mailbox with sentimental treasures. She made a photo album from past photos of the family, many of which I had never seen. Brenda was married to my brother in law Charlie, who passed away last Spring. This album is so special.
In a beautifully decorated box I found so many things that I had to take a break and make coffee before I finished unpacking. Each item was wrapped in delightful packaging. among the many treasures, there was a heart photo box in which she added a picture of my husband,myself, and Charlies photo. Brenda , thank you so much for contacting me, and for showering me with such sweet gifts. I can't wait to get together...get well very soon.

5 comments:

  1. Pat,

    How wonderful to have old friends reach out to reconect!! How incredible to have them share parts of themselves with you :c)

    Pattie :c)
    Mazatlan Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, sometimes the universe sends out the most sparkly, unexpected surprises, doesn't it! These two serendipitous packages in your life are certainly something special. I'll bet you had tears in your eyes.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. You receive the most interesting and beautiful gifts. Thank you for sharing your treasures with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful gifts.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile, I love hearing from you and thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by. Enjoy your day!