Saturday, July 15, 2006

Glass slide tutorial /process to make pendant









I Always clean both sides of each slide well. Trim project to 1"x3".(#1)I then lay down a slide, piece of decorative paper face down,(#2) my mini CQ face up, and another slide to make my "sandwich". Using copper foil tape, adhere all around piece catching both front and back piece of glass. (#3)If your piece is thick, foil around middle, then foil back and front slides by placing tape half on slide and half on side of piece. Use bone tool to gently smooth copper foil all around sides, front and back. If your piece has petite beads or mini charms, applying too much pressure with bone tool can break your slide. Using short piece of copper foil tape, adhere jump ring to top center of piece. Press firmly with bone tool or this will come off when flux is applied. Clean all over again. Flux with disposable brush. I use the metal ones found in the model dept. They are very inexpensive. All hardware stores carry them too. Do not over flux, but do flux all over. Flux allows the solder to stick to foil. With slide piece standing in a clamp (no hands) touch your soldering iron to your solder until you get some melted onto iron. Glide soldering iron against slide piece. Solder should flow off onto copper foil tape. I melt a bit extra near the jump ring. Use the mini clamps to turn your piece so you are always soldering on a flat side otherwise it will drip down into a ball.
Remember the glass piece is extremely HOT! Use clamps ! Let piece cool and clean again using window cleaner. If you have rough edges, these may be sanded with fine grit sand paper or emery board. You can paint or leave natural solder color. I hope this helps, it is only from my experience. I have taken no class or had any instruction on making these however following this tutorial will get the results I get....a nice pendant to give or keep. Photos cont............

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile, I love hearing from you and thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by. Enjoy your day!