Thursday, May 28, 2015

Blooms galore and enjoying life's offerings

The flowers are blooming and birds are singing...what a wonderful spring. I've been enjoying the sights and scents of the garden these days. I've even taken time to slow down and smell the roses....well, maybe not slow down, but I am smelling the roses. These are from my mother in law who rescued them several years ago when they were removing the Gary Post office. Every spring when they bloom I sit in the garden to reflect on the special times I was fortunate to share with her. She was a great woman and I miss her so much. She was always the first to get a bouquet of lilacs and I really miss surprising her with them. Thank goodness for memories.





I took mom to Ogden Garden park for lunch a few weeks ago. It was chilly but sunny and sitting in the gazebo chatting made for a great afternoon.
My trip to South Haven with my pal Leslie Kenreich was so much fun. We stopped at several antique shops and this one was very strange but so interesting.
Love the fence...

 and these doors were amazing!

Willow Bend Antiques was my favorite. Mary Woodruff is the owner and she knows how to stage. Behind the large building are several little cabins chock full of treasures.



My treasures for the day were some mother of pearl buttons, needlepoint pictures and a purse to re-purpose as boho bags and a mirrored shelf that I found interesting.


We had worked up an appetite so we stopped at Clementines in South Haven and splurged on foods we don't normally eat, but love. Just look at those onion rings and zucchini. Yes, I had a refreshing strawberry daiquiri.
 Their bar is beautiful.


This place was fun too.
So today I am taking a gift from a very sweet friend in TX, Annette Graves. Annette made me a beautiful framed photo of my husband and me from my sons wedding last year. Monday he will celebrate his first anniversary so Annette made them a special framed photo of them on their honeymoon. Thank you YR, I'll get a good pic of them holding it today.

A bit of stitching too...






Mom's best friend from Arkansas is visiting for a few days so she will enjoy catching up and spending time with a girlfriend, and we all know what great therapy that is. Hugs to all my girlfriends, life would be less bright without you! Well, I better get going, have a great day!


4 comments:

  1. Hi Pat! Beautiful story and equally beautiful roses. It looks like you had a great time antiquing and eating some yummy bar food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have so many beautiful memories Pat, and I enjoy reading about them. Here I have irises that I got from my sister, just days before she passed. They're in full bloom right now, and they bring such beautiful memories for me also. Enjoy your day, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lilacs are in full bloom here right now and they are so pretty. I don't dare bring any inside though - those pesky allergies have decided just this year that lilacs are not good. I have to enjoy them form afar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a treat this post was with all the flowers, which I love love to see. The fence was just beautiful and seeing you with Mom and the yummy not good for you food that we must have. Why keep that pleasure from ourself? Hope you had a bite for me my dear. Now those doors, if you hear of some wild lady from Texas ripping them off the hinges and tossing them into her red steel stallion it was not me. Aren't they pretty? Even to put them in the back yard going to now where would just be "the cat's meow". Your stitching is so fine and everytime I do CQ, which is everyday, I thank you for teaching this beautiful no rules art to me. I do hope the kids love their special gift from you, what a honor to have made it for you and them. We have been having a lot of rain and the mosquitoes are so GIANT this year, We have a Mosquito magnet and are declaring pure war with them I hope we win. Giant hugs and again loved seeing all the pretty photos . xooxxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile, I love hearing from you and thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by. Enjoy your day!