Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Kreinik Hot-Wire is "Smokin"/ Faux Stumpwork Tutorial

I played with the new Kreinik "Hot-Wire" thread today and I am in love! As soon as I saw and felt it I imagined dragonfly wings of all colors and sizes. If you enjoy Stumpwork, you will love this product because Kreinik has given us a shortcut to create easy to manipulate dimensional objects for our stitching projects and for many other crafts. Hot-Wire is soft yet keeps the shape you manipulate it into. It cuts easily and it is easy to work with.
Today I used the Emerald color to form wings to create a dragonfly which will be used to embellish a future crazy quilt project using richly colored fabrics from India mixed with silk Dupioni. Unfortunately the colors did not show well in this photo but you get the idea.Would you like a little tutorial for the dragonfly? Alrighty then!

Gather these supplies:
spool of Kreinik Hot-Wire thread sheer fabric clear drying fabric glue matching fine metallic thread or Kreinik Blending Filament petite seed beads and tiny sequins are optional

Begin by choosing the Hot-Wire and sheer fabric of your color choice.
Either use a wing pattern or free form as I did to bend thread to form 2 lengths for longer front wing and 2 lengths a tad shorter for back wings without cutting thread. As you can see in photo, the first two are just a bit longer. Twist one large and one small wing to the other side to form a set of four wings. Longer wings on top. Take 1/2" of Hot-Wire and secure in center. This will be later hidden with beads.
Using small brush, apply clear drying fabric glue to one side of Hot-Wire form and place onto sheer fabric. Press with palm of hand to make sure all thread surface is touching fabric. Let dry. *Liquid Stitch only takes a couple of minutes. When dry you may embellish each wing. I used a matching Kreinik Blending Filament to make feather stitches from tips of wings to body. I then used tiny matching flat sequins secured with size 15 petite beads for whimsy. *Cartwright sequins has a wonderful selection of tiny sequins however I found these at Sally Beauty Supply in the nail art dept.
After embellishing each wing, carefully cut along the outside of all wings keeping them as one connected unit. You can bend the wings or leave them flat.I will be sewing beads on top of center joint when I am ready to add it to the finished project.
Once again, Thank You Kreinik!!!!!!! Something new to play with!

13 comments:

  1. Wonderful! This is great, Pat! I look forward to making some myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Pat for a wonderful tutorial and the tip about finding sequins at the beauty supply shop.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear - another product to covet! I will be adding some of this to my wish list for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is effectively the faster solution that the relief embroidery, and the result is also attractive!

    Creative a day

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful dragonfly! I just love this, it will look wonderful on one of your CQ projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! They are so gorgeous!
    I'll have to get some Kreinik hot wire Now!
    Thanks for the tutorial!

    Hugs,
    Sandie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore dragonflies and thanks for sharing this tutorial! I checked the Kreinik site and we don't have a store near me but I can order or get later this month when we visit a city that does carry it. Won't that be fun?
    Thanks Againa dn I love that your kittens are doing ok also. I found some under our deck this past weekend and I am finding homes for them and trying to get Mother caat spayed so won't happen again.

    Smiles, Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gracias por compartir el tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome dragonfly! I think it will look great as a brooch too!. This is my first introduction to Kreinik wire and its myriad possibilities.

    Thanks for sharing. I will feature/link in a future post so others can come visit. Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  11. love it! I am also thinking brooch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh love this it is a dragon fly you know. This is what faeries fly around on sometimes when their little wings get tired. oxoxox

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile, I love hearing from you and thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by. Enjoy your day!