Saturday, March 19, 2011

Guess where I went on St. Patty's day?????

We had gorgeous weather for St. Patty's Day so I ran errands early while the therapist was at mom's and on my way to visit I was thinking it would be nice to take mom for a drive along the lake. She was up for a ride so I took her to town to grab a cold drink and a bite to eat first.

The sun was out, the air was warm and the moon roof was open as we approached the lake-shore. Mom spotted some people walking on the beach and said she wanted to try to get down there. I parked and off we went. It took a while getting up and down the stairs but we made it to the sand and she told me to go check it out. It felt so great to be in our special spot again.I really wasn't so sure we would get there again let alone this soon. I made it to the waters edge and turned around to see mom sitting on a large piece of driftwood. I started back and she waved me to stay so I walked along the shore just long enough so she wouldn't feel like she spoiled it for me which she didn't at all, I was just thrilled she wanted to be there. Looking back at her, for a moment I felt as if I were a little girl again and mom was keeping a watchful eye on me as I played along the shore. A bittersweet moment for sure. Where have the years gone? I wish I would have known what the future would bring back then. I would have cherished each beach trip even more when mom was younger and danced among the waves with me.

I found a few pieces of glass for us within a few steps and headed back to join her. Imagine the load we would have collected if I had meandered further down. When I sat down next to her she reminded me that she wasn't allowed to bend over so even if she did find glass, she couldn't pick it up. I had forgotten because I was caught up in the moment of being free and at my favorite place in the world and mom accompanying me. We headed back to the steps and she did great with no pain. I was hoping this wasn't too early for her and that she wouldn't be sorry in the morning. She called me early Friday morning to let me know she felt great and was walking around with a cane, not the walker. That was very good news.

To top off the day I received a package from a sweet lady named Joanie who took one of my classes at the retreat. She had described some wonderful wedding dress bits she wanted to share with me. I was ever so surprised when I opened the package to unveil this large stash. Beautiful laces, embellished with pearls and beads waiting to be dyed and added to crazy quilt things. She also tucked in some beautiful sheer fabrics. I thought this note was cute...For just meeting me, she knows me well! Perfect fabric for a mermaid tail. Thank you so much Joanie. Your thoughtfulness and generosity was overwhelming and I just love the goodies. It was great to meet you ,Pat and Marianne in class and I will be seeing you again. Tisha is so fortunate to have such sweet and fun friends nearby.

I know I promised to blog more about the retreat , and I will, but I have the attention span of a 3 year old in a candy shop these days so please be patient :-) I'll get there eventually.

I hope you have a great weekend and watch out baby, Spring is tomorrow!!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds a wonderful day, Pat, with poignant moments at the beach! How lovely that your Mom was feeling up to being there with you. Wishing for spring sooner than later....by temperatures, not by date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, I'm glad for you and your Mom that you had this time together in your special place.

    Blessings, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was your smile from ear to ear? I bet it wasW
    Glad you and Mom got to the beach...happy days!

    Hugs,

    Sandie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely new laces and embellishments. I really enjoyed reading your words describing your trip with mom to the beach and how you felt. Very special times indeed. Happy Spring and Birds Who Sing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such wonderful news!! And perfect St. Patrick's Day finds! ~ Angela

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile, I love hearing from you and thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by. Enjoy your day!