Monday, August 16, 2010

Crazy quilt covered barrel bead tutorial

After many inquiries today about the size and construction of the CQ covered macrame bead I thought I would share the tutorial I did a year or two ago. The wooden barrel bead is 2" long.

This is the finished pendant in this tutorial..........Find a wooden barrel bead (left over from macrame projects) A comfortable size to work with is the 2 inch size. Trace the bead width and length onto muslin by rolling it and marking with pen leaving a little extra all around to be trimmed later..
Crazy quilt the muslin piece. I used the five sided center piece which in this project is a black velvet. Don't forget to trim every seam before flipping and adding another fabric. Being a small project, you can't afford any extra bulk.
Gather tiny embellishments such as petite beads, tiny charms, sequins,2mm & 4mm silk ribbon.
Start embellishing.
Trim edges leaving a little to tuck into hole in bead. Test the length then glue the center of CQ onto bead using a tacky glue. (E6000 leaves a lingering unpleasant odor on fabric)
Work the narrowing top and bottom edge into the holes poking the fabric neatly with a turning tool or pencil.Feed a cord or chain through the hole. Poke it if necessary.Add lace, yo yo's, or something flower shaped or round to each end to cover tucked ends and glue. I used vintage organza flower applique's which I dyed. Add a larger bead on the top. String 2 very long bugle beads then add a pretty flower or leaf bead then go back through bugle beads to secure. Continue this using various beads or pearls making 5 of these to hang from the bottom.I've also used this same process to cover a small gum tin to use as a MOO card holder.
I hope you try this or turn it into something with your own twist. Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. Pat you are the best, most generous and thoughtful artist. Thank you for sharing your tutorial on this beautiful bead. Happy crazy quilting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I just threw a bunch of these bead away! I always do stuff like that. I will try to find some and try this it looks great. Now I have a question twice today I have read the term MOO, what is that?
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Pat, what is MOO? I love this project, I think I have some of these beads if I can remember what I did with them! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the tutorial, Pat. I can't even imagine working with something that small (as I look at my pinky and shake my head).

    Love the MOO holder too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I'm doubly put out that I got rid of those beads!! This tutorial is great. (hmmm - I wonder if the thrift store would still have them and I could buy them back??)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm...I think I have some beads like that somewhere. What a great incentive to do just a "little" CQ! Thanks for the tute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pat
    This is so cute!! Would make a cool adornment for a CQ purse, wouldn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, Pat! This is incredible! It's a great take-away project - not a lot to carry! Beautiful!
    Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so awesome! Thanks for sharing your technique with us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a former quilter I have lots of 5" squares and batiks that would be perfect for this. & of course plenty of beads to embellish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Pat,

    Could you please tell me what I might find the 2" long wooden barrel beads? I knitted a backpack 2 years ago for my granddaughter and have been looking for a large wooden barrel bead to thread the I-Cords through.
    Would really appreciate any info you might share.
    Thank you,
    Debbie Hutchinson

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile, I love hearing from you and thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by. Enjoy your day!