Friday, July 30, 2010

Perfect temp...more flowers to be had?????

Yesterday's temperature was perfect and today looks to be the same. Sunny and cool. I relaxed yesterday doing nothing much of anything and by late evening I got a burst of energy so I dead headed flowers, watered plants and wandered around the yard until it was dark. I didn't even notice how dark it was until I walked onto the porch to return the watering can. I turned on the porch light and it looked so warm and inviting that I had to walk out to the road to view it. As I stood there staring at this old place looking so cozy and welcoming with lights along the path leading to the porches I thought of the moment years ago when I was a teenager when I rode by the house and remember thinking to myself that the people who lived here must be happy. There wasn't anything in the front yard, just grass, but the slight slope of the land and the big red barn looked peaceful and homey.
Well, if anyone happens to drive by and wonder the same thing today, they would be right. This place needs a lot of care and the fix- it list continues to grow, but imagine the work you would need if you were over 130 years old.I am going to Home Depot this morning to hopefully find some nice plants in bloom. I decided to fill the front area where we removed the broken shrubs from the fallen tree limbs with flowers. I have a good start but adding perennials currently in bloom as the Summer progresses with ensure a continuous burst of color for next year. I was going to just add a few fern and ornamental grasses but I want to see colorful flowers when I sit on my swing. So....flowers it is.
If I find some pretties, I will share pics tomorrow. Gotta get going!
Have a terrific day!

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely post and a gorgeous home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Pat, I love your house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I tell people we live in a 104 year old farmhouse they immediately picture something that looks like yours...Wish it were. Ours started as a 2 room house and everyone added on over the years... so it is a odd hodgepodge...but you are sooooooo right that these old house are in a constant state of needing repairs...

    Gerry Krueger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Addendum: What a great photo...I just enlarged it.. What an odd arrangement of people standing so far apart...and so formal... Do you know who they are? Love the dog. How lucky you have the photo...

    Gerry Krueger

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful that you have those old pictures. The history and the stories the house could tell. Do I see 3 chimneys????

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile, I love hearing from you and thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by. Enjoy your day!