Friday, June 18, 2010

Exciting news to share

Remember the purple CQ heart filled with lavender?????

Well, I woke up to this email message...
Congratulations! Your entry, Crazy in Love with Purple, in  PieceWork Magazine Presents The Excellence in Needle Arts Awards—Heart Ornament 2010 is the first-place winner in the Quilting category!
Crazy in Love with Purple was included in the contest display at The National NeedleArts Association’s trade show in Columbus, Ohio, June 12-14. All of the winning entries are featured on our website, www.pieceworkmagazine.com, and in the July/August 2010 issue of PieceWork

I am so excited. Not really having the time to "play" because of the many projects ahead of me needing to be completed, I entered on a whim anyway and really loved making the heart from start to finish as if I had planned it. When a project flows that nicely I feel it was one that was meant to be.
I am quite honored to be in PieceWork magazine. The spectacular work I have seen in that magazine has amazed me for years.I've never entertained the idea to submit anything to them before. The past few years I have become more comfortable submitting my work only because it doesn't matter if I am rejected, the creating was worth any prize or acknowledgment I could receive. Any acknowledgment I do get is always humbling. I am really surprised and thrilled to be one of the winners. Wow!

After searching high and low for the perfect shade of wine velvet I took a trip to Vogue on Wed and found it. Whew!
Not too red, not too purple...just right! Now I can relax with that worry off my mind as I finish adding the details to the CQ then add the border and backing then ship it off to NY. Now Alicia Keys " New York" is playing in my head.(Empire state of mind) That is a catchy tune isn't it?

My porch swing is back up with the ceiling being completed yesterday evening and I think I will veg out in it all weekend and just take time to inspect the CQ slowly and make sure everything is tight, right and ready to go.

A few people have asked how I could let go of such a large piece of work and I told them it is the process that I enjoy and the finished product is not something I need to keep. This may make sense to some, (hopefully many ),of you. That is why I started selling the projects I make like purses, jewelry and such. I don't want the item I just wanted to make it. It is also why I don't like to make things strictly to sell.  " Having" to make things to sell is a job. Making them because you want to play with fabrics and embellishments is bliss. Selling them afterward is necessary if you don't want to fill closets or build another room onto your home. I do take on a few special requests because I can understand a person who doesn't CQ wanting a certain item of their own. I have requested work of others myself and am delighted when they say yes. It is just something nice to do for others and besides, I still get to create. Finding someone enjoys your work and wants to have a piece is an honor to me and something I'll never get used to.

The book, "A PASSION FOR SEA GLASS" arrived last night. I will give you a full review within a day or two. I am itching to browse each page.

I am off to stitch on this very hot sunny day. I hope you have a great day yourself! Keep cool.

25 comments:

  1. Whoo Hoo! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work! Oh how I love all the beautiful detail work and colors! Bravo!!!!! oxoxo Zinnia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on winning Pat, it"s no surprise to me though as all your work is gorgeous! Can"t wait to see an up-date on your project which I wish was being shipped to Maine and not New York...Debbie (Maine)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The heart is truly exquisite, so its not surprising it won. Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations. It's a lovely piece! And isn't it just great to find that perfect piece of fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats, Pat.
    It is a lovely heart and deserves the prize:))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Pat. Your heart is absolutely stunning. Beautiful needlework. Have a great day. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. This IS a beautiful piece of work and congratulations on your work being chosen. What a wonderful honor. You must feel so great! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pat,
    What an honor, but I can certainly see why you were chosen. Such an interesting piece. I feel as you do about making things becoming a job. I have been asked why I don't open a shop or do more of an item than one. I tell them then I would have to work and not play. I have a saying: I want to do, what I want to do, when I want to do it. Yes I will do special thing for people but having to meet their expectations some how takes the creativity out of it, or should I say fun out of it. Anyway again congratulations, being featured in Piecework is a major deal!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Pat! Your heart is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations Pat!!! It is a gorgeous piece.
    debby

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOOT!!! congrats Pat
    This is exciting & I look forward to picking up this issue!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm adding my congratulations to all the rest Pat - good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG, Pat, a big CONGRATS ! ! ! !
    We all know your work is wonderful and now to have it viewed by so many more is quite an honor for you.
    We are so happy for you ! ! !
    Hugs,
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations Pat,
    Your work is stunning you totally deserve first prize,
    Enjoy your weekend,

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely CQ heart! I just made one yesterday, but it's so plain compared to that one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Pat, congratulations. Don't know why you are so surprised, your work is aways breathtaking. I'm so, so pleased for you. In fact it's really made my day and put a smile on my face. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such wonderful news Pat! I'm so happy for you. Yes, I feel the same way. I just like to make things but feel the need to keep everything nor do I have the space for all the things I make so I sell some of them. Although I confess, I'm feeling the need for a new purse!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations, beautiful heart.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations Pat, I can completely see why it won. The heart you have created is truly a wonderful heirloom. The detail and needlework is exquisite, I have looked at it many times and always see something new. It looks just like it's Victorian sisters of years ago. Simple put it is beautiful, Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on being published!!! Your heart is just gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations! I will look forward to getting my copy!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It could nto be more suited nor perfect for your piece to win the Pieceworks contest!!!!! Huge COngratrulations to you my talented friend!! your piece is magical and a stunning delight!! I will definately be purchasing that issue of Peicework!!! Big happy hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations! What a beautiful heart - How wonderful and well deserved. You have been my long time inspiration for so many times I've picked up the needle.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations on winning! The purple heart is just stunning! I'm new to your blog but am in awe of your beautiful work -- it inspires me as I crazy quilt small pillows and am a novice -- my designs are not very intricate, but I'm learning! I love that NY song, catchy is right!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile, I love hearing from you and thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by. Enjoy your day!