Saturday, May 01, 2010

Paulownia tree in bloom

Yesterday morning my brother brought my mom over and we walked through the garden then headed to the front of the house to see the new walkway when my brother noticed the Paulownia tree was blooming. I didn't even notice it before. It has only bloomed once since I planted it and now 10 years later it is in bloom again. It is hard to see the light purple blooms against the gray sky this morning. It looks like they just started to open so in a few days I might be lucky and get a nicer photo. But for now, here she is...Princess Paulownia...look closely for lilac color trumpet blooms....

Today I must dye ribbons for class and get everything in order for Monday morning. Then I will work on the CQ outside if it doesn't rain. I spent a fun morning with mom yesterday yard sale-ing. Our first stop was a quaint Ivy covered brick home tucked away in the country. It reminded us of a gingerbread house and was so inviting. I asked to take a photo and after one shot my dead battery light went on and my camera shut down. Argh! I wanted to share the side yard area that just begged to walk through and have a seat under the shade trees.

The sale was wonderful and if I had room I would have owned a Queen Anne writing desk...which of course I would have painted cream, another Victrola cabinet, an old metal wall cabinet with glass front, etc.... so many awesome treasures and no place to put them. I did find some goodies to care for and was quite happy.
The collar is beautifully beaded....
 I love these old frames that swivel. The detail is very nice and will look great with a few coats of cream paint I think.
These two trays will be changed out for crazy quilting under glass and yes, painted cream........

 The added bonus was that everything was half off!!!!
The owner was delightful and shared a story of the beautiful beaded vintage dress she had bought to wear when her and her husband would ride in their vintage car....I can't remember the model but there were two nice vintage cars on her property. How fun that must have been. I had a fun surprise when a customer had recognized me from my blog. She is a quilter and I invited her to come over and try crazy quilting. It is refreshing to meet cheerful uplifting people when you are out and about. It was a blissful morning.
Hey hey! The sun came out...gotta go. Enjoy your day!!!!!!!!

13 comments:

  1. Visiting your blog Pat, is like a trip to another time. More simple, more quiet and always beautiful!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen (or even heard of) that kind of tree! How pretty it is. I'm curious to know if they are scented. Looks like you had a great time at the yard sales and found some beautiful treasures. Like your idea of putting CQ in the trays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always wonderful so see something "new" in the garden like your tree blooming. Hope your class goes well-Have fun--Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat, you have such wonderful vintage sale-ing opportunities in the midwest than we have out here in the west. Great finds! That beaded collar is stunning. Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another wonderful day spent with you and mom through your blog. Love your newest treasures. A blooming tree is so special. Happy creating...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful tree-reminds me of redbud trees as it blooms before the leaves come on. You alwyas have such wonderful luck at Yard Sales and what fun to meet a blogging fan!!!!Hope that you got in some outdoor CQ time!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pat, what a delightful day!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos, Pat. We have 2 frames like that, one from my g'ma and one from DH's mom...popular, I think, from the twenties perhaps? Our two weddings were lots of fun, but us old folks are pooped but happy. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like fun, the old cottage, the sale, all the beautiful things. And your beautiful tree. I've never seen one. I'm sure they don't grow in this zone. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderfully perfect day you had! The house is a treasure and you acquired some as well. Your tree is gorgeous, what fun! Your blog is always so uplifting like you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Pat, I hate when you find stuff, but don't have the room for it! I found a vintage cabinet during my visit to Seattle. It had several flat drawers perfect for decorative paper or fabric. If only my studio was a little bit bigger! Enjoy the sun! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe my eyes. In your closeup photo of the beaded collar, the cloth underneath the collar - the wonderful gridded pattern with the loose starlike centers.....just this morning, I was looking at some of my own awesome treasures that I purchased last fall. I have the same pattern in a 12x12 doily, not a full tablecloth. And I said to myself, gee I love this, I've never seen one just like it. Today is my first visit to your blog! Life is full of surprises!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun adventure! I have the same Longfellow book! It feels like you are entering into a secret world whenever you open one of these very old books....

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile, I love hearing from you and thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by. Enjoy your day!