Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I love rust!

Last night as I was sitting in the laundry room on the floor taking inventory of dye for an upcoming class when there was a knock on the door. It seems a friend of DS's and his father had brought me some rusty iron fencing from the 1800's. There are four interlocking pieces....

oh gosh how I wish there were about 50 to fence in the front yard. So....what can I do with 4 pieces? Any suggestions? I love them!!!
Remember I was given about 9 rusty railings last fall for the garden...should I mix them or use the four tall ones for something special?????

I stitched a few seems last night while watching TV with DH. I worked on the lower fan area. I am just wandering all over this quilt to compare with my usual method of starting in the middle and working out on a large piece.
I did more yawning than stitching actually. Tonight I will work on the other fan.Today I must get some orders together and perhaps piece a few puzzle pieces.  It is chilly out but another sunny day so another walk will be in the plans. I wish I could walk like I did when I moved here 20 years ago. About 2 years ago after two or three days of brisk walking my ankle would swell and ache. The short leg (1/4" shorter than the other) probably hits the ground harder than the longer leg and causes joint pain.....that's my diagnosis anyway. This is why I have my elliptical machine and exercise bike. With the weather warming I will soon be on my cruiser riding to mom's and around the countryside with Angell in the front basket.

She may only be able to handle short rides now because her little hips hurt her. Age does creep up on us all doesn't it? Phooey!
Have a great day!

13 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, you must be over the moon with the fence, it is awesome. Love what you are working on and Angel is darling.
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phoey is right and I will not have it.... she says bravely!! I am having hip and pelvis problems because one of my feet is flat and one is not!!!!! WHo Knew????
    LOVE LOVE the fence!!! It is so gorgoues I would keep it on it's own and put it in front of some favorite roses or just sprinkle pieces throughou the grden as artistic elements! How does one sprinkle iron fencing?????
    Love what is going on with your big quilt! i have been hunting for that little blossom ribbon and I can't find it- any hints!!
    Happy SPring Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right about age sneeking up on us! Where did the time go? Enjoy your sweet Angell while you can. I lost my precious fur baby in February & there is such a hole in my heart. So, go scoop her up & enjoy a ride & the sunshine. I love your work it is amazing. Pat Close is going to help me learn ribbon embroidery. I can't wait. Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fan stitchings are exquisite. Angell is so adorable in her bicycle basket. Boy can I relate to the getting old and achey. :o) Happy creating...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, What gorgeous fencing you have been given. I can see these making stunning headboards for a couple of beds depending on the size. I think some in the original rust sprayed with a sealer to keep the rust from coming off onto the bedding. Also painted in gorgeous colors such as Robins Egg Blue, that would also be stunning. If you have a bench I would put some behind the bench to give the idea of a seat back and pile on some wonderful pillows. What a wonderful gift to have been given, enjoy, Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love the fench!! I was just telling my husband the other day I would like to find a couple pieces to put in my garden.. As always your crazy quilting is beautiful. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely fence pieces and I know whatever you do with them will be fun. They're too pretty not to use!
    I have the same problem (one leg shorter than the other) and it was throwing out my back. Finally it got so bad I went to a chiropractor and he has me using a small lift in my shoe on the 'short' side...sure does help!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You get the most wonderful stuff.That fencing should look great around your house. You'll put it to good use I'm sure. Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow the fence is to cool, but the coolest is Angel, what a sweetheart he reminds me of my little Rocky who is 16 years old now! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pat I agree with Elizabeth on the fence. They are special pcs. and you are a lucky person! Your quilt is beautiful. About sweet Angell my Sheltie Oly (I miss him so) had hip displasia and the vet said to try aspirin. But that made him vomit so the vet put him on butazone (they give this to race horses when injuries occur). Anyway he had 9 more years pain free. He was a new dog. You might ask your vet about it. Just a thought. I wish we humans could take it.LOL Too much weeding. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh you are so lucky!!! I would love some of that old fence! I think it would be awesome in your garden! And you could wrap some muslin around it while it's raining and make some rusty fabric! :D I love using it in unexpected ways. Your puppy is so cute in the basket! You should go to a chiropractor for your leg, if your hip is out one leg will be shorter than the other ~ I've been going to them since I was little, and I always go to them before a regular m.d. Just my two cents... Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Forgot to mention, your cq is looking amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun!! Couldn't you use the fence pieces as trellises? I can just see all sorts of pretty climbing things on them. Check out a lift in your shoe; my sis's one leg is a bit shorter than the other, and her doc prescribed a lift..... Mocha and Ginger say hi to Angel!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile, I love hearing from you and thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by. Enjoy your day!