Saturday, November 28, 2009

Wonderfully entertaining read....highly recommend this book.

I've just been sitting in my comfy chair reading a few stories from my dear friend Coralie Cederna Johnson's wonderful book, A tree grows in Trout Creek.

 I was surprised and honored by receiving this book from Coralie this Summer however as many times as I had  hoped to sit and steal away a few moments reading, it never was the right "setting" for me to properly settle in and  devour the heart warming, true stories from the pages within. Stories of this honest, fun,touching, and grounded family that I can relate to in so many ways. After reading a few sentences  I was hooked, but I am one who must read under the right circumstances to fully enjoy the story.

I don't care in what era you grew up in, I know you too will enjoy the stories and find them familiar as I do. I grew up in the 70's and many times heard  similar stories from my mother and aunt as well as being reminded of many circumstances myself as a young girl living in the country. My heart skipped a beat upon reading about the "Alden's" catalog, a loved catalog from my youth that I had totally forgotten about. The Christmas issue was my bible. I kept it under my pillow dreaming of toys I must ask Santa for. How could I have forgotten about that magic book?

I must say I have certainly enjoyed my evening curled up reading as if I had just learned how and couldn't get enough. After 6 chapters I reluctantly closed the book so I could enjoy more later, as a treat when I can find a quiet time to return to Coralie's youth and imagine I am right along side her. I like to soak in the stories as if I had just enjoyed an actual visit.

If you enjoy real life stories of days gone by, innocence of youth, you will thoroughly enjoy this book like you would a mug of hot cocoa with marshmallows in front of the fireplace in the middle of a freezing January night. Warm, comforting,enlightening, sweet. This is a "feel good" book.
Thank you for this evening Coralie. I can't wait to return.

3 comments:

  1. What a great recommendation Pat! It sounds like my kind of book. I'll have to look ito it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kind of book!

    Also...I LOVED ALDENS. I grew up in Cali and my sister and I would DREAM of wearing the clothes we saw. I still remember them to this day.

    Blessings to you girly... I always LOVE to visit even though I don't always comment.

    Lovely~

    Love, Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Pat!!! What a beautifully written tribute to my coming of age stories! I'm so honored that you are enjoying them! Thank you, thank you, thank you for your kind words! I so appreciate this wonderful post!
    Blessings and big hugs! Coralie

    (If anyone would like more information on ordering my books, both "The Wishing Years" and "A Tree Grows in Trout Creek" can be ordered directly from me by contacting my email: cjohnson@umich.edu or from my book order blog: http://wildwoodpress.org/order-books.)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile, I love hearing from you and thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by. Enjoy your day!