Wednesday, July 01, 2009

aDRESSing the situation

Upon the request/suggestion of a sweet and very talented artist friend, Monica, I felt the need to help bring attention to the injustice of the Juarez murders which I had never heard of until I read Monica's post a few days ago. 400 murdered women and 4000 reported missing women and girls to date...sickening.

Although I have a long list of tasks, I really wanted to join this project in hopes it may bring awareness to this horrifying issue. With deadlines to make and unexpected family issues to deal with, my hopes on joining Monica were dimming. I didn't know where I would find the time before today's deadline to create a dress to send off. Last night after returning home after a long tedious day, I found peace and inspiration, as I often do , in my studio.

I printed, cut,pieced, and embellished a dress last night, finishing it a few moments ago. I just added the final touches and slipped it in an envelope.

My plans....when I thought I had so much time, were to create a dress reflecting Mexico's colors...Green(HOPE) ,White (PURITY) ,Red (UNION). Although I believe all of those words reflect the meaning of this issue, I decided to create from the heart instead because I couldn't help but remember the faces of victims in the video. Seeing the beautiful faces of the young women who were murdered and are missing and forgotten by authorities. I decided on a feminine dress in pastels which any young woman might enjoy wearing.

Naturally it had to include crazy quilting.....
Monica, I hope this brings awareness to the issue. It has surely enlightened me.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Pat,
    What a beautiful offering you have made. I love the dress..
    I know about the situation too and it is not only sickening but hard to imagine what really goes on in this world sometimes....
    Thank you for sharing...
    xoxo
    ((((hugs))))
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking time to create such a lovely dress and to help raise awareness for one of the many tragedies today's women face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just heard of this tragedy today while catching up on blogs. I wish I had known about it, would have liked to have been able to contribute a dress to the cause. Yours is beautiful and will be so appreciated.
    Pat
    Patricia Rose-A Potpourri of Fabric, Fragrance and Findings
    www.patriciarose-apotpourri.com
    www.patriciarose-apotpourriof.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Pat for briging our attention to this plight thats gone on, had never heard about it before your message...its so sad.
    WHAT A GOOD AND KIND soul you are for making this thoughtful dress etc.
    Just when we hear/see such bad things in this world.....something/someone comes along and makes us realise...THERE ARE GOOD PEOPLE out there AND restores our faith.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile, I love hearing from you and thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by. Enjoy your day!