Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Sunday with friends...junk shop and ice cream!


Sunday was beautiful and I took part of the day off to enjoy a trip to the junk shop with pals Wendy and Sue. It was a busy day but the few hours spent junking was a treat. We met at Sue's and headed a few miles toward the lake to a place that has been a haunt of mine since childhood. The Junk Shop! Yes, it is truly a junk shop. Piled,stacked, heaps and overflowing containers....this describes it well. It is a large pole barn filled with anything you can imagine with very narrow paths to lead you to various treasure troves. Always remember to bring your wet wipes! Your fingers will be black when you leave, thats a given!
Sue headed for rusty washers, wire, and anything to create her mixed media art objects. Wendy meandered about finding her goodies and I had no idea what I would find or could want however each of us came out with needful things. I found a jar of glass prisms......a tiny jointed plastic doll with one arm missing.......... and a small bright pink box which I think held playing cards. It has a small plastic covered petite point piece in the corner which I could not pass up. Anything stitched catches my heart.

A block or two before the Junk shop we stopped at a smaller pole barn sale. Again, filled with stuff. I found another drawer unit filled with unwanted threads which I will give to the Church resale shop. I have painted the unit white and it now hangs in my studio waiting to be filled with supplies. One drawer is missing but it was the perfect fit for a box of beading thread.In one of the drawers, I discovered tiny embroidered flowers. They will have a good home on pieces of my work.

I have a "thing" for containers, bags, anything that can organize. While browsing Michael's last week I found this three drawer box in the clearance area. The top was battered and torn so the price was $5.00. I covered the top with paper napkins and modge podge.An easy fix to save $25.00! It now stores my charms and small bits.

After junking we grabbed an ice cream cone from Dairy Queen (yes, I ate the whole thing and enjoyed it!)and took a break sitting under a beautiful blooming pear tree on Sue's back deck. It was a short but sweet visit which really hit the spot!

9 comments:

  1. Ice cream did you say Ice cream!!!! Love your treasure finds. I am looking for a divider for my charms. Our Michaels never have anything on sale like that. I'm coming to live with you. LOL Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Come on over..I'll run to town for more ice cream and stock the freezer! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the glass prisms. Gosh, I can't even remember when I had an ice cream cone! Sounds like a nice day. :0)

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a perfect day.
    Love looking and not knowing what treasure you might find...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot of great finds there. But only you would buy the one-armed baby doll with visions of turning it into something fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sure wish I lived near you so I could go junking with you and your friends. And ice cream! My idea of the perfect outing...and with treasures to take home! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oo that sounds so fun!! my hubbie is from valpo and i love to go junking with my friend when we visit! i think he has friends in chesterton too!!! hey neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful day-and such great finds-I love "junking"--Hugs Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kind of day! The vision to see what others overlook is truly a blessing!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile, I love hearing from you and thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by. Enjoy your day!