Sunday, March 29, 2009

A new venture....tags

I have never made a tag before from scratch, let alone enter a tag swap. However, I was possessed to enter a tag exchange hosted by Evie of Scotland. I had no idea where to begin, or even if I could do this. I gave up on paper before starting, thinking if I used familiar supplies, fabric, I could possibly pull it off.
I plopped in the floor with my tub of batik fabrics and pulled open the dyed scrap lace drawer, hoping inspiration would arrive. I sat, and sat, played with a lady bug, picked beads out of the carpet, sat a bit more and just started choosing favorite colors...um lets see, that would be purple and green. I also chose pink, gold and peachy pink for variety.I then decided the tags should have a picture of my house since the theme is "Home Sweet Home", and while making them, we are to think of what that means to us. Well, it means so many things to me , I couldn't choose one specific thing so I started pulling out my paper from the scrap book shop with words until I found the perfect sheet. I cut out a dozen definitions and printed off small photos of my home and I was ready to roll! I layered dyed cheesecloth, sheer fabric, lace, etc on each batik tag. I placed an acrylic bubble map on each to represent travel, since these are going to Scotland and who knows where else.
I then started machine stitching after I fused a thin batting to the batik back. I can now take them with me to watch Brother's and Sisters which is on soon with beads, sequins, and charms, and further embellish.
I have a lot of fiddling to do on each, so I will share when finished. I hope they are what a tag is suupposed to be. At least I know I have the size correct!

15 comments:

  1. Your tags are gorgeous! I'm in that swap too - I'd better check the deadline!!! I don't know how you manage to get so much done, it's truly amazing, and another blog?! Sure, you've got time to come help me organize:) Just send happy, uncluttered thoughts my way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your tags turned out beautiful! Why am I not surprised?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful job Pat. I think you are right on track. A tag is whatever you decide it's to be :)

    Pattie ;)
    Mazatlan Mx.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! I am loving those tags already!

    JD

    visionquest2020 at msn dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leave it to you to come up with something marvelous at just the mention of a new idea. Can't wait to see the final finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your tags. Very pretty. Your blog began quite a blogging adventure. Amazing how far you can travel in just a few clicks.

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous-These are wonderful. What a great idea-but you always have so many ideas. Hugs Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfection!!! But what happen to Brothers and Sisters????
    I came home in time to catch the end and it wasn't on???
    I will leave the rest of my comment on your NEW blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pat
    They look great, can't wait to see them finished!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are gorgeous! I'm surprised you haven't made some before.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very beautiful and inspiring. You are truly an artist with thread and fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These turned out awesome!Thanks for sharing!
    Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your tags look perfect! Can't wait to see the finished product. I was in a tag swap a while back and I lo-o-o-ve my tags! You are in for a real treat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pat these are wonderful, one of the first swaps I ever hosted was a tag swap, that was back in 2003. I met alot of friends with that swap and still look at the tags from time to time. Your tags turned out just beautiful!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile, I love hearing from you and thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by. Enjoy your day!