Friday, January 23, 2009

Sharing a project with you!



It has been three years since I made this crazy quilted scissor holder which hangs near my cutting desk in my studio. I've had several comments on it from visitors so I thought I would share it with you. It may inspire a project.

First let me tell you what inspired this project. One day while organizing my studio I gathered up all of my embroidery scissors laying around the house. I piled them in front of me and started to place the points together then realized it was fan shaped. A light bulb went off and I imagined making a crazy quilt scissor holder. This worked out well because my mind was blank and I was in need of a project for a CQMag deadline.

I looked through my ciggies (images on cloth) and found this satin image from a birthday card insert which my father had given my mom in the 50's. Remember the beautiful greeting cards with satin pillow inserts? It was perfect! A beautiful garden with a fountain in pastels. I then gathered fabrics and laces and set to work.
I drew a fan shape onto muslin and proportioned it to the size of the satin image so I had plenty of room for embellishing. I also kept in mind that I needed several pockets for the assorted small scissors. I then pieced the crazy quilted fan.Since the satin image was oval shaped, I added that after the piecing was complete. Next I embellished the seams and filled in a few fabric areas with silk ribbon embroidery. I chose an off white embroidered fabric for the background fabric because I wanted the soft colors to stand out.

I placed the scissors where I wanted them and marked lines to sew through the CQ piece and backing fabric to form pockets. I then trimmed it out in a pretty ecru trim I found on eBay. I had several yards so after outlining the fan I also stitched it down each pocket divide where needed.

I added hand dyed applique's to the bottom sides of the satin image and finished it off with a beaded tassel.
When it was finished I had to think of a way to mount it. I happened to have an antique convex picture frame hidden away in the closet which was given to me by my nother in law. I gave it two coats of off white paint and framed the fan so it could hang it on the wall where it would be convenient.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Pat,
    I so enjoyed this posting. Thanks much for sharing the story behind your lovely crazy quilted scissor holder.
    Wishing you an enjoyable week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Luv your blog header!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This piece is just glorious!! Your embroidery is sooooo fabulous! Plus I love functional art!! Thank you sooo much for sharing!
    Hugs!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat@MyTatteredElegance7:00 PM CST

    Your sissor keeper is fabulous. I love everything about it. I made one a long time ago but, it only kept one pair of sissors. It was not CQ just had the ribbon embroidery. One day I may try yours. It is soooo beautiful.

    Thanks for sharing it with us. Also loved your card.
    Smiles,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat,
    Your scissor keeper is exquisite. You do such beautiful work. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea, beautiful yet so practical. Thank you Pat for sharing.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is why I like to read your blog. Enjoyable reading and so many inspirations. Love the scissor holder. Just wish I could concentrate long enough to actually get something done. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful piece! The idea is really great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodmorning Pat,
    Your work is so inspirational and this piece is no exception. I love it... When I grow up I want to be just like you!!! VBG
    xoxo
    ((((hugs))))
    Maggie
    waving from behind a big snowbank!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember seeing this before and being so impressed at the creativity of your idea. I think I will make one of my own this year..this is just too good of a project to resist!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pat...a work of ART!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, My goodness! This is a fabulous work of functional art!!! I hope you make more and put them on etsy! I'd put tatting shuttles AND scissors in it! LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile, I love hearing from you and thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by. Enjoy your day!