Thursday, December 18, 2008

Winter days indoors..changes for New Year...Long..possibly boring.

What else is there to do but clean, organize, cook, and stitch on a cold Winter day? NOTHING!!!

I awoke to a cold nose this morning.A reminder that I chose a quaint old lovely home with charm and history instead of a new, warm, draft free dwelling. I wouldn't have it any other way, so I will try not to comment on the old ladies faults. She has been good to us, giving us so many wonderful memories, and I look forward to many more.

DH and Angell had abandoned me sometime in the early hours and let me sleep in. I have been feeling a bit under the weather and I hope it isn't the ugly flu trying to visit. I felt light headed and just not myself. It could be that my mind was filled with decisions I had made yesterday.

I had a wonderful dream of my grandmother and mom. We were in grandma's house going through her closet. She wanted me to try on an olive colored wool coat with a fur collar and 3/4 length sleeves. I did and it fit perfectly. I was excited to have it and I was enjoying our time together, knowing grandma was no longer with us. It was strange knowing this yet "visiting" with her, and then I woke up. I tried to remember the coat in detail. Why? I have no idea. For a moment I thought perhaps I could find one in a resale shop??????

Time to get up!

After the usual morning routine,brushing my teeth and putting my hair in a ponytail,etc, strangely enough, I had the urge to clean.....YEP! I said CLEAN!!!

Before going downstairs to say good morning, I started with stripping the bed, cleaning toilets (fun stuff here) and then went down and started in on the laundry room. It always receives the cast off items from shopping, empty boxes, pantry items I am too lazy to return, etc. After finishing that I started checking dates on pantry items and tossed out jello and pudding mix.
Next I was off to straighten the kitchen, sweeping and mopping the hall and kitchen, and now I am waiting for the coverlet to finish drying before I can say I am finished. DH vacuumed the carpets, so that is that!

Yesterday I went to visit mom for her birthday and we ended up shopping. Not what I had in mind, but she needed to get some things so I offered to take her. She doesn't need to be driving on icy roads. We stopped on the way home for lunch and made plans for a day out after New Years day.

She had reminded me of how busy I had been this year. I have taken on a lot of activities relating to crazy quilting and decided I need to make a few changes. I tend to get caught up in things too easily without thinking them through. I am a do-er. However, mom and I are not getting younger and I have decided to set aside many of my "hobby" related activities and enjoy my mother and my life more this year.I figure if I remove some smaller responsibilities, I can comfortably deal with other things and also spend more quality time with family and most importantly,allowing me to be the free spirited dreamer that I am . I miss me.

Decisions have been made. I am going to close my etsy shop in Feb. It was fun, and I hope I helped a few people get some things they enjoyed. If anyone sees anything in my shop and want to make an offer, go for it. All reasonable offers will be considered. It is a lot of time and work that I cannot afford anymore. Thank you to all my loyal customers, you are wonderful!!!!

My second decision is not final yet, but I am thinking of stepping down as writer for CQMag. It was enjoyable to post projects, interviews, and tutorials for our reader's, and I appreciated all of the wonderful letters I have received through the years from those who I have helped in some way. That was my goal. I feel I have nothing more to share and I would rather step aside for new people with fresh ideas.

I am still considering a Crazy Quilt Retreat here, near my home. There has been a lot of interest, and it would certainly be a blast. The morning beach walk and stitching at the beach alone would be so fun with those who share simple fulfilling experiences.
I also will teach in small groups in my studio if the need is there.

What are my plans ?

I want to learn more about using photoshop and having fun with it, but I feel I don't have the time to put into it. This will change. I plan on taking a class from Gail after the new year and learn from someone whom I know will not leave me without knowing where to go next. This is a gift to myself. I can no longer put this responsibility on my son. I know he doesn't mind, but I need to learn this on my own, and from a gal who knows she is working with a clean slate,LOL.

I also want to make many Comfort Dolls and finish getting dolls to all the states. New donors continue to share their lovely creations. This project was started from a feeling from within, and it is something I will continue and I believe in. I haven't had time to create the dolls I need to and want to. I have felt much guilt over this as I watch dolls arrive throughout the year from those who made the time. Dolls continue to arrive weekly and I can't thank you all enough. It shows me there is a need in comforting those who are forgotten because they are not recognized as having an illness. They need to know they are being thought of, and this is an issue we need to address worldwide, as women.

This year I plan on enjoying~
Sunrises and sunsets of every color...........
Tea and blooms in the garden with mom and friends.........
Many more morning beach walks with mom...............
Bike riding through the country and along the lake shore.........
Road trips with mom and new friends...................
Sending care packages to DS filled with yummy home made treats.................
Sewing on the front porch, making fun surprise gifts for friends and comfort dolls............
Working puzzles with mom........................
Walking through the woods observing fern and wildflowers with mom..........
Motorcycle trips with DH and picnics..........................
No schedules, deadlines, ribbons to dye, images to transfer, kits to pack, unless I want to :-)
Dreaming in the hammock with Angell and a good magazine................
Creating small things for charities............................
Morning, afternoon, and evening swims.............................
Enjoying a glass of wine on the porch swing on a hot humid Summer evening.............
Blogging without obligation!

Now, I am off to fix lunch and stitch! I'm hoping to finish all projects I have started by Feb. It will feel great to start fresh.

11 comments:

  1. Hope you are feeeling better.
    I do love your pictures.
    Very relaxing... During the season bustle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Pat this sounds like a plan. I must say that you will always have something to contribute. So never say you are stepping aside for that reason. You are a very special person in my life. Even though we have never met I feel so grateful to have you as a friend. I was happy to see that you will still blog as losing touch would be so sad. Spend those wonderful days with your mom, as I know how sad it is when they are gone. Enjoy your holiday and stop cleaning. You put the rest of us to shame. Please give Angell a big birthday hug from Teddy and me. I have a card but can"t get out. We are snowed in and the 4 wheel drive isn"t working. :-( Gleefully Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat, your plans for enjoying next year sound wonderful. We all go through seasons in our life where we need to make some changes. I wish you all the best with whatever it is you decide to do.

    Have a wonderful holiday season.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Pat,

    How very wonderful for you!! Are you prepared for all the wonderful things you will learn about yourself and experiencing all those little miracles you were to busy to see before?? How lucky for you that you have reach this point in your life now!! It was the loss of my husband that set my feet on this path.

    I too hope you will choose to share your adventures with your Bloglandian friends :c)

    This is the quote I had posted for a long time where I would see it every morning and evening "The more I give myself permission to live in the moment and enjoy it without feeling guilty...the better I feel about the quality of my art and therefore my life" unknown

    What a loving Christmas gift you have given yourself and your family! :c)

    Always your Bloglandian Sister
    Pattie :c)
    Mazatlan Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pat,
    Having known you through our little group and the magonline, I know how much you always give of yourself..
    There comes a time when you have to find yourself again for yourself.
    We try to do it all, I too am stepping back alittle more, after my DH's accident earlier this year, I have learned to put things back into their right boxes and have more time for family..
    Take care.
    Hugs Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would definitely second spending as much time with your mother and family as possible...you'll really remember all of the good times in the future.

    It sounds like you have some nice priorities and ideas. Scaling back but with room to grow. Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whew! I just got worn out reading all that you are doing! You are one busy lady...with many talents to share.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Pat,

    I wish you all the best in your plans and hope you will achieve all that you set out to. Change is good. You get to enjoy and experience many other different things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pat, wishing you the best in the coming new year. Starting a new adventure in your life. We all need a change at sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pat, Great plans! They sound like something to fill your heart and soul with.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. YIPEEEE ~ Horray ~ (i wish these comment boxes had spell check!)
    Good For YOU!!!!!
    What a wonderful idea to set yourself freeeeeee :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile, I love hearing from you and thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by. Enjoy your day!