Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Remembering the Veterans today

This morning as I sat in my comfy chair, alone in the dark, waiting for the sunrise, I was thinking of my dad. Missing him and remembering how he never spoke of WW2 unless we asked a question about his purple heart. He lost a lot of friends by his side while on his Naval ship. My mom shared that with me as I was reluctant to inquire further to prevent him from bad memories and sadness. In our family, we never pressed an issue, even if we were curious. Feelings were always considered first.
I can't imagine watching your buddies being shot one moment and feeling the sting of a bullet yourself the next. Fear must have been overwhelming for him. I hate war, and I can't understand why we sit back and watch even more of our men and women die and get injured over something that really is not our business (no hate mail please, it's just my opinion) Enough about that. I respect the choice of every Veteran.

I sat there enjoying one of dad's favorite candies, Bobs soft peppermint sticks. I bought a box yesterday when I was running errands with mom. They always show up around Christmas, so I nabbed a box, not caring about the WW points. I can work them in!

Then the sky began to show color. I should have ran for my camera then, but I couldn't stop taking in the pure periwinkle and pink colors. It was awesome. When they began to change, I just had to run up and get it. I couldn't pass this show up without pictures.

I had to go outside to get a better view. There were lemon yellow openings in the clouds which was breathtaking against the purple and pink sky.
It lightened as the sun rose.Once again, I was inside looking out at this amazing gift and wondering who else sat for the show this morning?Orange/fuchsia and then periwinkle and peach, and then five minutes later it was baby blue and gray. What a grand show!!!! All I could think of was my father's voice saying, "Red sails at night, sailors delight, red sails in the morning, sailors warning". I knew it was going to be cold, but the beautiful sky was an even exchange in my opinion.
Thank you Veterans, I wish you the colors of sunrise in the morning and red sails at night.

9 comments:

  1. "Thank you Veterans, I wish you the colors of sunrise in the morning and red sails at night."

    What a lovely way to express our feelings. Sometimes we just don't have the words.

    And your pics are astounding. I have seen some gorgeous skies in my time, but never the combination of those colors.

    We woke to snow yesterday and I couldn't wait to get outside. I posted here: http://coconinochronicles.blogspot.com/2008/11/sunrise-on-first-snowfall.html

    It was beautiful to watch the sunrise, but your colors just amaze this sky watcher. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, veterans, thank you soldiers, thank you Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to share a poem with you that I wrote a few years back for the soldiers that died from our town.
    thanks,
    Kathy

    The Memory of Fifteen Soldiers:

    It is a day of recognition
    for the men who were so brave,
    Who gave their lives in battle
    for our country they did save.
    The wars that they fought hard in
    were in the name of you and me,
    Giving their all and then some
    so we could be safe and free.
    Hoeppner, Stanosheck and Nicolaisen
    were three of our Osmond sons
    To lose their lives so bravely
    in the fight of World War One.
    The years went by and we thought
    the fighting was all through,
    Not knowing the lives of eight more sons
    would be lost in World War Two.
    In 1941 we laid Kovarnik's body
    down in the earth to rest,
    Then in '43 and '44, Butterfield, Schomer,
    and Waddell followed with the best.
    1945 came and took Galvin,
    Paddock, Bumann, and Kalcik too,
    How many more lives would be given
    for the red, white and blue?
    The Korean War had its time,
    for 1950 and '51,
    Grasped the lives of Kenny and Sohler,
    another two of our sons.
    The final call came to us
    in the Vietnam War,
    Grieving for Pospisil and Brunckhorst,
    could we take much more?
    The years have since passed
    for time marches on,
    But the memories of these fifteen soldiers
    will never, in our hearts be gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Freda Butler2:50 PM CST

    Hi Pat

    Your saying reminded me of my Mother who has been gone quite a few years. She always said that and now I find myself saying the same thing. Your pictures are just gorgeous and I will share them with Harv who is sitting finishing a watercolor pic of our son's home for him to use in a christmas card.
    He wil appreciate seeing them.

    Tell Angell that I have added the click to my favorites right under the breast cancer click and will hit it every day as I have been doing. Great causes.

    I so enjoy reading your blog and seeing all your beautiful work plus the flowers in the summer in the garden. Amazing how many crazy quilters are also ardent gardeners. Must go together.

    Hugs

    FredaB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat, my Dad also fought in WWII and he never wanted to talk about it either. He was in the Navy, too and was assigned as a medics assistant with the Marines and fought at the battle of Iwo Jima in the Pacific. The one and only thing he ever said about the war was that he couldn't carry his gun and help the wounded soldiers too. So, he threw his gun away and tried to help the wounded wherever he could.

    We lost my beloved Dad to cancer in 1986 and I miss him each and every day. We all owe our lives to the brave men and women of the armed services who are willing to give up their lives each and every day just to protect us.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your lovely remembrance of your Dad. And I second your notion about war -- any war, and especially this war.

    My father was the only man among his cousins that did not serve on any front in WWII -- the government kept him home because the work he was doing here was more important. But all my uncles served in every arena of that war.

    And I remember well when they all came home -- great big handsome fellows in uniform hoisting a five year-old girl on their shoulders!

    We are so thankful that one of our sons made it through the first Gulf War safely.


    Kathy V in NM

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I read and looked at this post it is like a poem. But I know it is not. I also hate all the wars which are going on!
    Although I am grateful to the soldiers from oversea who made an end to WW II !

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi pat
    lovely tribute to your dad and all of the other brave men and women
    your sunrise is just stunning!!
    it seems that here in ct the novemeber skies are like not other month
    thanks for sharing with us
    enjoy your day
    tabby

    ReplyDelete
  9. p.s i love the bobs soft peppermint so does my dad :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile, I love hearing from you and thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by. Enjoy your day!