Monday, October 27, 2008

Sharing my Rum Cake Recipe :-)

I though I would share my rum cake recipe with you.
I found it in a magazine when I was 14, so it is OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL. Is this the ugliest recipe card you have ever seen? I just stapled the cut out recipe on an index card. That is what I call lazy! Since then I have made copies in my book and for several freinds. It may even be in magazines, I never really looked. As you can see, I made changes for the easy way, using a pudding cake mix...again..L...A.....Z...Y girl! ( Click to enlarge for original recipe)
I used to make it for my first boyfriend's father..later I learned he was an alcoholic,and I was horrified until I learned when you cook any alcohol, it evaporates. Whew! This rum cake tastes like it has alcohol in it, but I assure you, you will NOT get drunk, so you can eat and drive :-)

Bacardi Rum Cake
Cake:
1 cp chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
1 18 1/2oz pkg yellow cake mix with pudding added
3 eggs
1/2 cold water
1/3 cp canola oil
1/2 cp Bacardi(any dark) rum 80 proof

Glaze:
1/4 lb butter
1/4 cp water
1 cp granulated sugar
1/2 cp rum

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour 10" tube or Bundt pan (I use the mini 8 bundt pan) Sprinkle nuts over bottom of desired pan. Mix all cake ingredients together until blended. Pour over nuts. Bake 1 hour. Cool. Invert on serving plate. Prick tops and spoon glaze evenly over top and sides of cake (s). Repeat until all glaze is used allowing glaze to absorb.

Glaze:Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in water and sugar. Boil 5 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Carefully stir in rum (may pop so be careful, it is HOT!)
ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 comments:

  1. Sounds very yummy, Pat. Thanks for sharing. The messiest recipe cards are usually the very tastiest! I still have one that has red scribbles on it from when one of my kids was little and just can't bear to recopy it.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw the jars of clothespin that you wrap laces on in the CQMag and wondered how you have secured them so they don't unwind when you go searching around in the jar......? I love the idea and already have a few jars like that. I generally put my laces in the appropriate color trim drawer, but even just winding them on the clothespins would be better in there because I find everything gets tangled up!
    TIA,
    LouAnne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I can smell the aroma of that wonderful cake.....simple too...love fast and simple..lol!
    The new CQMag has lots of great ideas!
    Thanks for sharing both!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, Pat. Someday someone is going to find that old recipe card of yours in an antique shop and it's going to suddenly be called "ephemera" and sell for lots of money! ;-))

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat, Just viewed the CQ mag online.
    I love your contibutions and thanks for the invite to exhibit my work as well. I feel very proud to be on it this month with you.
    What a clever girl, you sew, you cook....I hope your husband appreciates talent. LOL. I must try your recipe.
    Cheers Larna.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pat, oh yes ma'am, this is great sounding, try it for potluck or maybe the elections. Oh! yum!
    Those fairy things are so very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmmmmm ~ this recipe looks familar!
    Mine looks just as beat up!I owe you such a long letter that nothing less will do! I have SO much to tell you!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile, I love hearing from you and thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by. Enjoy your day!