Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Puzzle piece swap..."Pieces of Friendship"

WOW! There is much interest in the puzzle exchange project starting after the holidays. 29 people so far.
Since I don't have much experience in this...ok, NO experience in cloth puzzles, I Googled puzzles and quilts and found this wonderful site. This is a sample of the community puzzle piece.
Thoughts of how to make puzzle pieces so everyone can exchange as many or as little pieces and have a complete puzzle was starting to worry me...until now. Making a universal puzzle piece is the answer. Duh! Now to decide on size. I was thinking at least 3". Please voice your opinion on this. I will work out the correct template size and email them for you to print so you can trace as many as you want to exchange. If you do not have a printer, I can snail mail you the template.
I love to work small, however many do not so the size should accommodate space to work your magic. Besides, a larger finished piece will be more fun to look at,and we all love eye candy. I am really excited about this project,and from what I read, so are you.

I am open to any input on this,including a start date. Definitely after Jan 1st 2009. You know I want one from each of you,so that's a given! :-) I can post the final list,or perhaps I should create a "project" blog??????? We could add pictures of finished puzzle pieces,comments,the template,etc. Let me think on this. It would be nice to have a page to go to for updates. I want to keep it simple as far as.......R....U...L....I just can't say the word! I'll say specifications.

Just wanted to let you all know that it is on! Stay tuned for updates.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Pat,

    Would/could this include beaded puzzle pieces (I don't know much other than beading)? If so... I'd like to join.

    And, not counting a piece for the hostess, would it be a one for one swap?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pat, Please add my name to your list for this puzzle piece swap. Cool idea! Hugs, Cathy .... who just got back from a CQ retreat in Colorado & is catching up on blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat,
    This sounds like a great idea. Your specifics on size sound great.
    Just one question, how would I know who to send mine to? I haven't done anything like this before.
    Put me on the list, looking forward to the fun.
    Larna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Freda butler5:52 PM CDT

    Hi Pat

    Please count me in for the puzzle piece. Sounds like fun.

    Hugs

    FredaB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pat, Count me in for sure. I also can't say ru--- either. Great minds, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea...I am so excited about doing this...3 or 4 inches in size would be perfect...in my humble opinion. I like the idea of going a little bigger (4") so that we can play more with embellishing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pat,

    3 - 4" sounds great to me! If a stiff interfacing was used it might help the pieces go together better. Of course, that might make it harder to sew through, unless the finished top part was fused to the interfacing. Just a thought.

    Kristin F. in SC

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think 3" is a great size, Pat -- gives one enough room to work with and still is not overwhelming.


    Kathy V in NM

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to jump in on this too please Pat!
    Hugs,
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Count me in for sure. I think 3 or 4 inch size sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is going to be sew much fun! I can't wait to get more information and our puzzle pieces. Thank you for all the inspiration I get from your blog :+}. Lana

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd be happy with either 3" or 4", I'm assuming that's the inside measurement ie the square without the lumps and bump bits. A group would be a nice touch, not absolutely necessary but makes communication easier.
    Luv Annette

    ReplyDelete
  13. Argh! I meant to type 4" in my earlier post -- had this nagging thought that I had posted the wrong measurement!


    Kathy V in NM

    ReplyDelete
  14. Melusine2:49 AM CDT

    Still in love with this idea and with the improvement of a universal piece. 3"-4" sounds great to me ... though my preference would be for the 3" piece.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile, I love hearing from you and thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by. Enjoy your day!