Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sharing new work in progress and...Award!!!

Stitching and gardening makes for a short day!!!! I have been taking advantage of the past few cool sunny days to clean up spent plants in the garden and around the yard. It has been hard work, long hours, some sweat, and so worth it! I am getting a head start this year and will continue to remove plants as they finish blooming so I will not have such a work load in Oct.
It wasn't easy cutting down the naked ladies. Their season is so short. My beauties are put to rest for the Winter.

My garden may not be picture perfect, as I allow plants to take over areas, and blend with each other as they send a seed or root here and there, but it does take continuous work, even for a meandering garden like mine. I can appreciate the perfectly manicured garden that so many achieve, but I need a bit of chaos to surround me to relax. I guess I can compare it to crazy quilting right? No patterns,no directions,no rules.....LOL

Yesterday I cleaned the front area along the sidewalk....day lilies, then I started in on the English Ivy growing up the front of our house. As I was tugging away my eye caught some movement and in a split second here comes a snake falling on me. Thank goodness my heart is strong I is all I have to say. It was pounding, I was screaming and dancing around like a fool. The snake only hit my arm, but in my state of panic I felt like it had devoured me. Oh what an awful feeling. I heard a car pass by during my animated dance and wondered if it was a neighbor. They must have thought I was a horrible dancer,LOL.

From early Spring until the first frost, snakes will continue to taunt me.Why?????? I let them all live this year....except for the one I didn't see while mowing a few weeks ago. That was not my fault and I didn't even know what I did until I continue around the beach the second time and saw the poor thing. Anyway, DH continued the job of Ivy pulling last night after dinner. The only thing is, and it made my heart sink but I wouldn't dare say a word because he was trying to help me, he removed the Ivy on my front porch too. I loved it growing there,and will miss it, but I am grateful for his help and I know it will grow back. It looked so bare last night as I was having my tea in the swing. It wasn't his fault. I said I want the Ivy off the house, and it is off!!!!!

Now, in between yard work I got in a bit of stitching. I am working on two purses at a time. I'm not sure why, but I am. One is bright!!!!


The other is calm. These will be swing purses...I think. Perhaps a bit larger.

Remember the sweet bird on the baby shoe Laurie of Charmingdesigns made for me? When I first saw her shoes I envisioned my father's baby shoes being used however I couldn't bring myself to have them altered. They currently hang on a vintage repro wicker child sleigh filled with china dolls,vintage fairy tales and lace umbrellas. I took them off to photograph them. Aren't they sweet? I can't imagine my father wearing these. There were only two porcelain buttons remaining. The tassels are so grungy but I love that. I know he put some wear on them, perhaps he even had to share them with one of his 5 brothers? He also had two sisters. I've been on the hunt for a glass dome to display these in. I think they should be preserved as is. They are perfect!

Now for fun... Laurie honored me with a blogging friend award, and I thank her. She not only makes blissful things but she is as sweet as can be. Again....I love the blogging world! Here are the rules:
1. Use the Twinks Bank icon (above)
2. Nominate 5 other people only
3. Four (4) nominees have to be dedicated followers of your blog
4. One (1) has to be someone new to your blog and live in another part of the world.
5. You must link back to whoever gave you the award.

Sharon Chapman , Diane Knot, Lisa Rauch, Terri Takacs...and the new one will be Diane of Crafty passions.

It is a very cool and sunny morning so I am off to the "bald" front porch to swing, sip, and stitch with my Angell. (click on pic to see a red sequin on her nose! She wants to be creative!
I hope each of you have a beautiful and creative day!

9 comments:

  1. Cute picture of Angell, and I love the new purses! I would have had a heart attack if I saw a snake. I also need to cut down my naked ladies, I probably should have done it last week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the award, makes my whole day!!!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:50 AM CDT

    Pat, love the new blocks again. How do you do the butterfly that you angled in the center? Is that an applique? I adore your dads shoes! A nice dragonfly displayed with those would be awesome! Debbie (Maine) rquirion@roadrunner.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies! Debbie, the applique is a vintage find from the International Quilt show in Chicago. A lady was offering them by the piece until they were gone. I love their shape and try to add them when I can. I dye them to match the project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you have a cute helper, Pat! I love your two latest purses, especially the one with the butterfly, although I do love the bright colored one, too. Great photos of your garden; don't mourn the ivy too long as it'll be back with a vengence. Unknowing of its vigor, I threw some cutting on our compost pile....bad move. Now we have it in the backyard, too, and have to struggle to keep it from strangling the good stuff.
    BTW, how did you make the flowers on your bright purse? They look 3-D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ewwwwwwwww, snakes! Join the club, Pat -- I would have had the same darn reaction, except I can't even scream when I have a snake encounter.

    Your commentary made me laugh until I cried -- and my husband feels vindicated when I told him that your husband pulled out ivy you wanted to stay . . .


    Kathy V in NM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doc Pattie8:40 PM CDT

    Pat,

    What a treasure to have your father's baby shoes!! You are a very lucky girl!! :c} It's rainy season here in Mexico, so every morning when I walk out to the patio to check on plants some have grown at least 10 feet (well okay maybe 1o inches is closer to the truth);c}

    Pattie :c}
    Mazatlan Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...me??? Thank you Pat!!! I am honored and thrilled that you chose me. It is the first award for me and a perfect one too! You are such a Sweetheart and Blogging Friends Forever we will be!!! I will be happy to pass it on! I need to make a post too, so it is perfect timing!

    I'm with you on starting now and not waiting for the huge work load in October. Been there before doing it with cold purple fingers, red cheeks, and a runny nose!

    LOL!!!...I just think I might have had heart failure and if my ticker was still ticking, I would have been screaming and dancing too! No doubt about it! What kind of snakes do you have? We have gartner snakes where I live but I've only seen one in our yard in the 18 yrs we've lived here. Thank goodness, I am not a fan of snakes!

    Your new projects that you are working on look just great! Would love to see them when they are complete too!!!

    Your dad's baby shoes are wonderful! I think you are right to preserve them! But you could try to hunt for a vintage pair to alter...that would be fun!!!

    Thank you again...you put a big SMILE on my face!!!

    Hugs friend...~Lisa ;-)

    P.S. BTW, I love the red sequin on Angell's nose!!! You certainly have a cute and perfect helper!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you on the snake thing -- I too scream at the top of my lungs when I see one. I saw one in my garden last week and now I won't go out there and pick anything because I know he's out there waiting to touch my bare legs. My skin is crawling now just talking about it.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile, I love hearing from you and thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by. Enjoy your day!