Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A bit more book progress

Yesterday I got sidetracked with lawn and garden. We have gotten so much rain the past three days,everything looks like a jungle. The fern are already 5'7",I look straight at them. I love fern. The poor Peony and Siberian Iris took a beating. The Purple Coneflower,Golden Loosetrife,and Campanula are soon to open.

However, I did get a little more done on the mermaid book last night. I thought the pale aqua vintage lace piece would make a nice pocket to hold a story or two. I used small driftwood I found along my beach jaunts to make a scroll. I inserted the story of the mermaid's tears . I printed it on cloth and colored it using alcohol inks (love that stuff). I also tinted a few charms with it as well.
The beautiful tatted seahorse was made by a dear and very talented friend,Barb Engle.Barb makes the most intricate gorgeous laces. She sent it years ago and I used it on my first mermaid purse but I thought this book would be the place to have it for safe keeping.(Thanks Barb E)
The large glass bubble was given to me by my friend Laney. She will be surprised I found a good use for it. It is like those little "gems" they sell in the floral dept,only much bigger. Part of the mermaid story is beneath with special words magnified. I then added pearls from a tag sale necklace, and tiny shells from Hobby Lobby.
Another old beaded and sequin insert was added to a tail which looks similar to scales.I used the small glass gems to magnify a few special words and placed them on vintage Organza flowers I found a few years ago at an Estate sale which I dyed.
A few more touches to the mermaid print and I can cal this page finished. I am having so much fun with this book. I love using almost free supplies like the painted dryer sheets and dyed cheesecloth which add much needed texture an color.
That is it for now. I will be at Laney's most of the day helping her claim an area of her basement. We are creating a whole new sewing/crafting space for her. I am excited to be organizing,and so in the mood!
I hope you all keep busy today and enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. This is such a wonderful book already Pat, I love it! It is really amazing to see it step by step.

    My fiber book is still all in my mind as we are in the process of replacing the windows in my office and sewing room with double paned windows, and I have to move a lot of stuff, and then move it back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your book is fabulous!
    Did you mention what size it is?
    I'm wondering because some time ago I tatted the same seahorse using very fine yarn but yours look so tiny - or the book must be very large!
    My seahorse is a little more than 3" I think.
    I love the glass bubble with the shells around. Great work on the other sites too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your book is gorgeous, Pat. It's so much fun to "watch" your progress. Thanks for sharing the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your book is just fascinating. So much different than I originally pictured it to be.

    Also, really nice write up by Linda. Your interview was really interesting and the photos of your work are to drool over. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile, I love hearing from you and thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by. Enjoy your day!