Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Tutorial on adding a clasp to eyeglass case or pouch

I have been often asked about adding the clasps to my eyeglass/neck purse cases so here is a tutorial. It is easier than you think. I hope you find these directions complete and clear.

#1 Gather your finished pouch,clasp,beads,matching thread and beading needle. If you are working with light fabrics and beads, use white or matching thread,if working with dark, use black or matching thread. This way your beads blend right in to the clasp much nicer.
#2 CQ pouch is sewn together and ready to fit clasp and sew up side seams.As you can see, I sew my front CQ and embellished piece to my plain backing and then add lining before adding clasp. If you want my pattern, you can email me for address and send a self addressed stamped envelope. I am always happy to share. I guarantee my pattern will work perfectly with the 3.5" Bucilla clasps.

#3 Lay opened clasp on top of pouch and make sure it matches up with clasp holes before sewing up sides of pouch.
#4Using hidden stitch, sew both sides of pouch starting at bottom and working your way up to where the clasp will open wide without stress on seams. Firmly but gently pull tightly after each stitch to close sides securely together.
#5 Pouch is ready for pressing and clasp addition.
#6 Starting at either side,bring beading needle from inside of clasp,through fabric and out the front hole.
#7 Add a bead and continue to other side filling each hole with a seed bead.
#8 Finished beading one side. Knot off a few times from inside corner.

#9 The inside of your pouch will have a finished seam and at this point you can call it finished.

#10 I like to add a matching trim covering the area where seam meets clasp for a nicer finished appearance.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for doing this. I plan to make an eyeglass case for my TIF this month, and have the clasp already and wondered about how to go about this. Wonderful tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, your CQ eyeglass cases are beautiful...you put a lot of work into each one.
    Thank you for the tutorial on putting on a clasp...they add the perfect finishing touch to make them so elegant looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous project! Thanks for such a thorough and exciting tutorial Pat! This Mother's Day I framed a couple of photographs that Jeff took for my mom- waterfall and bloomings. I sent her a gift card so that she can pick out the frames herself. My weekend has been very relaxed- too relaxed as I'm falling behind on my own projects. Spring seems to have a way of resting our souls and helping us to fill our wells... eh?!?! xo, Monica :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this! I have a few clasps and haven't even tried to use them with anything yet. This will make me braver!
    :-) Gina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing this tutorial with us. You are so generous with your talent and your time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for this PAt! I have had a clasp I have wanted to use for sometime and am going to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been wondering exactly how to do that and now thanks to you, I know how :-)

    I am looking forward to making myself a little coin purse.

    Pierrette =^..^=

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile, I love hearing from you and thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by. Enjoy your day!