Sunday, April 13, 2008

Introducing~~~Jacinta the purple angel....memories of grandma

The sun is shining so brightly that I just had to take a walk through the garden. One step out the door and I knew it would be a fast walk. It is so cold, such a deceiving Spring day. I only went down one path and returned to the house. Quite a difference than last weekend. So I gathered some supplies and settled myself in my comfy stitching chair downstairs. The results were "Jacinta" which means "Purple". Jacinta is the newest angel. Her body measures 2" wide and 4 1/2" long. She has purple metal wings to fly around and spread blessings. We all know there are angels among us,they just don't necessarily have wings or are the color purple:-). They come in many forms, some with four legs such as dear pets,some with two legs and big hearts like our special friends and family members. All here to teach us valuable lessons, if we would just slow down and listen.Many come in the form of a stranger, these are true blessings.

We must try to give our best and from our hearts in hopes others will follow. We must forgive,because many times it was a misunderstanding, we must always offer help when needed because it may be you needing the help one day. Wouldn't the world be so much nicer if we would treat each other as we treat ourselves? Wouldn't it be nicer to praise than to criticize? I think so.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My grandmother,Pearl E. Thomas, was a quiet,gentle woman who loved the color purple,and she taught me so many lessons. I remember her words,"Turn the other cheek",and" do not say or do something you may regret later","A frown turned upside down is a smile and it is contagious", "If you have nothing good to say, say nothing", many times.
Today all you hear people say is,"Shut up" to each other and their children.

Since I was the only girl,and a small one at that, I was always left on the porch while my brothers and male cousins played down by the Kanawa River behind grandma's house. I sat on the front porch swing and I listened with pride as I heard the women inside the house tell my mother stories of how grandma fed the neighbors,created jobs for those in need of money, and baked for all church functions so no one would be "put out". My grandmother always worked,but I never knew this because she was always there during our visits and her home and yard were in impeccable order. I assumed she just stayed home like my mom. My grandfather was killed in the coal mines in WV and I never met him. Looking back on those visits,her home,attitude,everything about grandma revealed a happy life. I had such respect for her even though I didn't know it at the time. She was my hero. She indeed was an angel who walked among us.

Jacinta is a reminder that there are angels among us,and all we need to do is open our hearts to find one.

3 comments:

  1. What a refreshing post to read, and a lovely little handmade angel! I love the story of your grandmother (my grandmother must have been a kindred spirit to her, as she sounds very much the same... my grandmother never had a bad word to say and always had words of wisdom for the grandchildren -- my grandfather also died early on in her life, and she too, spent much of her time at home in the house). Yes, angels are certainly among us in many forms, we just only need to open our ears and eyes to know they are here all the time. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, Jacinta is WONDERFUL -- as is your post today. Thank you so much for your beautiful work and your beautiful attitude. You inspire us all.

    Hugz,
    Jackie

    PS Jacinta was one of the 3 children at Fatima. I'm sure she is an angel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the story about your Grandmother :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile, I love hearing from you and thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by. Enjoy your day!