Thursday, October 11, 2007

New book on Crazy Quilt history & yada yada yada...


Last week I had ordered a book from Barnes and Noble titled,"The Art and Embroidery of Jane Hall" and they phoned last night to say it arrived. I was so excited to own this beautiful book from the images I had seen online but as I browsed through it I realized it was something I would not use in my work. It is a beautiful book and I would love to have it when I just am buying on a whim, but at the moment I am trying to rid my library of unused books. At $40.00, I will wait thank you. I am still trying to get used to the $14.99 prices of the magazines...whew!!!!!

So, I was disappointed that I would not be going home with a new book but then decided to browse the craft book area while I was there. That is when I stumbled upon this newly published book, "Crazy as a Bed-Quilt" by Sue Reich. I thumbed through it and knew it was a must have.

It is filled with stories,poems, newspaper clippings,history,and old original images of stitches and crazy quilts. Something every crazy quilter needs in her library. I am not fond of old crazy quilts because I'm reluctant as a crazy quilter to admit they depress me. It may have to do with the drab and dark colors used, or the sad stories I have read about the struggles of women making crazy quilts, or just perhaps the whole "wild" look about them. No theme,no direction not much purple ;-). I find them beautiful for their history,and I appreciate the many hours spent constructing them, but I have never been drawn to purchase one.

I know we ,(new Crazy quilters) are spoiled in the fact that we purchase most of our fabrics new which we use in a CQ. I know we all swap fabrics and hunt through Goodwill and second hand shops for another fabric source, but for the most part, we do not hold on to every piece of worn clothing from our family members and construct our quilts or whatever we make from our CQ stash. Every Traditional quilt I have made was constructed of newly purchased yardage. It is just the convenience we are afforded these days. We shouldn't feel guilt about it,we/I do use tiny cast off scraps,and recycle old doily's,laces, buttons and jewelry bits. Different means for different times,that is the cycle,the flow of things.

So, I will sit down with a cup of tea and read through this book and give you a review before you rush out and buy it. I do know those of you who enjoy the history of crazy quilting must have it. It is a beautiful little hard cover book. It is not an instructional book,so for those who are seeking patterns and such, you will not find them here.However the close up photos of the stitching is quite nice and useful! I'll be back soon!

2 comments:

  1. Pat, I have Jane Hall's book! It is amazing to look at and to see her painted stiffened silk techniques, but I agree that it is a pricey book. I loved the way she explains how she works and examines everything too. It's good you were able to look at the book before buying it though and found something that will inspire you more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what did you think of Sue Reich's book, Crazy as a Bed Quilt?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile, I love hearing from you and thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by. Enjoy your day!